PRODUCT CERTIFICATION SCHEMES
1. Domestic Manufacturers Certification Scheme
2. Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme
3. ECO Mark Scheme
1. Domestic Manufacturers Certification Scheme - The applicant has the option to choose any of the following two procedures for grant of BIS licence:
Normal Procedure The applicant is required to submit the filled in application along with required documents and requisite fee to the Branch Office under whose jurisdiction the manufacturing unit is located. Subsequently, after recording of the application, a preliminary factory evaluation is carried out by BIS officer to ascertain the capability of the applicant/manufacturer to produce goods according to the relevant Indian Standard and to verify the availability of complete testing facility and competent technical personnel. Samples are tested in the factory and also drawn for independent testing. Grant of licence is considered by BIS provided the samples pass during independent testing, preliminary evaluation is satisfactory and the applicant agrees to operate the defined Scheme of Testing & Inspection and pay the prescribed marking fee. By this procedure the licence is expected to be granted within 4 months of recording of application by BIS and 6 months in case of all India first licence for a product. more..
Simplified Procedure - In this procedure, the applicant is required to submit test report(s) from specified laboratories along with the application. Grant of licence is considered provided the verification visit is found to be satisfactory and the applicant agrees to implement the defined scheme of testing and inspection and pay the prescribed marking fee. Sample(s) is (are) drawn during the verification visit for independent testing, but the conformity of this sample does not form a pre-condition for grant of licence. However, the test result is used for review purpose. more..
2. Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme - Overseas applicants/foreign manufacturers are granted licence for the use of ISI mark under separately designed scheme within 6 months period. more..
3. ECO Mark Scheme - Besides the normal product certification scheme, BIS also grants licences to environment friendly products under a special scheme and awards the ECO MARK to such products. These products should conform to additional requirements specified in the Indian Standards to qualify. The procedure for grant of licence is same as that of Domestic Manufacturers. more..