REQUIREMENTS TO BE COMPLIED WITH BY THE APPLICANT OF PACKAGED DRINKING WATER FOR GRANT OF BIS LICENCE, ACCORDING TO IS 14543:2004
A. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
General requirements for grant of BIS Licence, please see BIS website
B. PRODUCT SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS (FOR PACKAGED DRINKING WATER)
1. List of Test Equipment, Glass wares & Chemicals - See Annex A
2. Details of samples of the product/containers to be drawn during - See Annex B
3. Acceptance of Marking Fee - See Annex C
4. Acceptance of Scheme of Testing and Inspection (STI) - See Annex D
5. Guidelines for assessment of Hygienic conditions with - See Annex E
Explanatory notes for guidance
6. Undertaking for getting the samples tested as per STI frequency from BIS approved/NABL accredited outside lab.
7. Consent letter from concerned outside lab for testing of sample (Ref. Sl.No.6)
8. Copy of the appointment letter, qualification certificates for Chemist and Microbiologist.
9. Detailed Manufacturing process indicating treatment for disinfection along with Process Flow Chart. Clause 3.2 of IS 14543:2004 specifies various processes for manufacturing Packaged Drinking Water for guidance only.
10. Copies of Medical Examination Reports of the employees engaged in washing/filling of the product for any communicable/skin diseases and fitness to work in a food industry.
11. Details about the arrangements of pest control treatment such as an agreement/contract with the agency. Also details of Cleaning in Place (CIP)
12. Declaration of Shelf-lice of the product separately for each type of container (e.g. 1 litre, 2 litre, 20 litre etc).
13. Undertaking regarding Clause 6 (Packing) of IS 14543:2004 and Clause 7.2 of IS 14543:2004 (Labelling Prohibitions).
14. IS 14543 & all applicable cross-referred Indian Standards.
Please see the list of IS wise BIS approved laboratories for testing the product water as well as containers & pouches, on the website www.bis.org.in